VA Home Mortgage
WHAT IS A VA HOME MORTGAGE?
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs offers VA home loans to American servicemen and women. Any veteran who served in the American military in the past, or currently on active duty, is eligible for a VA home mortgage. VA mortgage loan is originated and funded by a VA approved lender. The VA doesn’t give the loan out, they guarantee the loan.
The VA home loan program’s aim is to help veterans get financial support in those areas where private investors are not available. It is generally easier to qualify for a VA loan than conventional loans. There is no down payment requirement for VA mortgage loans. It is one of the 2 mortgage loan programs where a borrower can get 100% financing. A maximum loan amount for VA Purchase Loan with any down payment is $417,000.
BENEFITS OF VA LOANS
Every veteran gets equal opportunity to get their dream home. The primary benefit of a VA home loan is no down payment requirement. A homebuyer under the VA loan program can get full financing as long as the purchase price does not exceed the appraised value of property. No private mortgage insurance premium (MIP) required.
The guideline defined in the VA loan terms prevent the extra costs to be charged to any borrower. There are strict allowable and non-allowable fees. A borrower doesn’t need to be a first-time homebuyer. However, the borrower must attest that the property being purchased will be used as a primary residence.
The first step in getting a VA loan is obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Veterans Administration. AMCAP Mortgage can help you get your Certificate of Eligibility if you have not started the process yet.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE VA LOAN
Any veteran who has an honorable discharge can be eligible for VA home mortgage, along with active service men and women. Also, those in the National Guard, Air Force, or their eligible surviving spouse, midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy, officers of National Oceanic, etc., is eligible for a VA home loan.
- Requirements for individuals has been categorized according to different time spans.
- For war time individuals those in World War II, Korean conflict, Vietnam Era and Persian Gulf War it is required to have served for at least 90 days.
- For those in peacetime it is required that the applicant should have at least served for 6 months or 181 days. Consecutive work of 3 months record is needed.
- For a member who have served in the National Guard, it is required to have at least 6 years of service.
- A minimum of FICO mid score of 620 is required. A borrower must have enough income to cover the monthly payment of the mortgage plus expenses for daily living.
AMCAP Mortgage offers both purchase and refinance transactions for VA home loans in the Houston – Memorial area. For more information, contact our Home Loan Specialists at (832) 356-5605 to get started now.